Google
 

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemos Papam!!!!

By: Ed


Pope Benedict XVI, formally Cardinal Ratzinger, now leads the Roman Catholic Church. Finding information on his life is difficult right now, though no doubt it will become easier in the next few days, but I will share what I have been hearing and reading about him thus far.

Pope Benedict was the head of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith. He has (as he well should) a doctorate in theology and is the first German Pope since the 11th century. Pope Benedict XVI has been a voice in his position as Cardinal of calling back to traditional beliefs and against relativism. This means the Church will not be making any major changes to doctrine and as one blogger wrote "no matter though who was elected this would have been true, it is just that they now realize it and once again will have to fall back to "maybe the next Pope".

“Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism... We are moving towards a dictatorship of relativism, which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one’s own ego and one’s own desires.”
-(now) Pope Benedict XVI

What I found most important and prayed for most though I found in his speech after being selected Pope. He said:

“Dear brothers and sisters, after the great Pope John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me — a simple, humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord. I entrust myself to your prayers,”


“The fact that the Lord can work and act even with insufficient means consoles me, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers”

He was humble. This is a good sign and a great start for the new Pope. I pray, and ask all readers to also pray, that Pope Benedict will remain humble, pius, and dedicated to God's Church. May God's will be done. Viva El Papa!

Ed

0 comments: