Google
 

Monday, August 25, 2003

Profiles

By: Unknown


Lesse... I guess that since I've introduced myself, I should introduce my friends.

Philip Burton: The traditional "best friend" (well... not so traditional, but best friend nonetheless). Philip is the section leader of the Mellophone and Saxophone section section (the Phonies) in the Ragsdale marching band. Philip is rather religious, though nowhere near fanatic (and this is skewed, as I'm not religious to any great extent). He's deeply involved in the FCA, and often plays guitar in the meetings. I may admit him as a posting member of the blog eventually, to get his views and such. You can find his blog at http://www.thegreatBM.blogspot.com.

Tyler Hoffman: Tyler was the rich-boy section leader of the Saxophones in my freshman year and sophomore years. He came from Wisconsin, a state in which he now lives again. He was certainly the most well-to-do of all my friends, although my parents never believed he was as rich as he acted. Our friendship was and is reliant on battles of wit (i.e., making fun of each other), which sounds like a bad friendship, but, honestly, it had a strong foundation and was quite enjoyable to be in. He was the social link between my friends and once he left we basically stopped doing stuff.

Ashley Farmer: I met Ashley in my sophomore year when Tyler introduced us. Actually, it turns out I knew her in 7th grade (when she was in sixth grade) from the bus to our neighborhood (Ashley, Tyler and I all lived in the same neighborhood). For several weeks after we met, she was honestly rather mean to me, but only in public (I don't fault her for it. It's a common psychological occurence). Eventually we grew into good friends, and the group of us (Ashley, Tyler, Philip and I) would go to Fuddrucker's (more on that later), bowling, and other social stuff. Ashley is a flute player in the Ragsdale band, section leader of the flutes, and a darn good player.

Michael Smith: Michael (other Michael) is the best student of history and politics I've ever met. He, Edwin Snyder, Philip Burton and I all held deep discussions on many issues over lunch freshman year. Our most important decision we made was that time does not exist in any non-abstract sense (perhaps more on that later). Mr. Smith (we're going to Washington, D.C. this year for A.P. Government. Coincidence? I think so!) will probably also be permitted to be a poster, mostly to refute my blogs. His political views sometimes differ from mine... a bit...

Adam Wenner: The closest thing I have to a hard-core gaming friend. He is knowledgeable about computers, but he's not as dedicated as me. He's the only person I'm friends with who has Dungeon Seige.

Steven Sweeney: Now off to college, Steven was another gamer, though not to the same extent as Adam. He is outstanding as a Scout (he got 53 merit badges. That's too many). He's another person who is my friend by cross-mockery. He was in the Pit my junior year of marching band, but played sax in concert band.

Edwin Snyder: Heh... Edwin... Ed is a lawyer in Teen Court. He (like me) is a Republican. Unlike me, he is a Catholic, though he's not orthodox (we had a long discussion once on whether there are any orthodox Catholics). I'll probably make him a member of the blog as well. That rounds out the three people whose views I value most in discussions.

The Calculus III Class:

While everyone in this group is a friend of mine, in the sense that I know them and talk to them and enjoy their company, I don't quite count them as friend-friends.

Jonathan Brentnell: No. 1 in GPA in the class, and attainer of a perfect 1600 on the SAT. Jonathan is very smart, though he cares too little about academics and too much about social life in my opinion. He works as a lifeguard at the community pool.

Adam Gerken: Everybody in Calc. III thinks I hate him. I don't really. More on that later. He joined late, and doesn't really have very much academic initiative. He joined, in fact, to get away from girls who annoyed him. He is, however, good with numbers. He, too, works at the pool. Also, he played trumpet in band freshman year.

Angela Vandegrift: Interesting case study. Definitely more on her later. She's the smartest girl in our class (the Senior class, not necessarily Calc. III), but she makes some bad choices.

Kelli Carroll: Kelli Carrell (that's a nickname, right there) is the youngest in the Calculus III class, but that's largely because of block scheduling. That's not to say she's not immensely smart, by the way. Her mom runs the math program (don't ask me her title) at G-Tech, where we take the class.

Philip Burton: In a Calculus III respect, he's a bit of a strange fit. He is not as mathematically adept as the rest of the class, but he has far more determination (maybe not the right word...) then anyone else, save perhaps Kelli. He's in the class because he wants to, not so much for getting into college.

I believe that's it for now. I may add some more profiles to the blog later, but right now, I'm signing off.

~Michael,
...by the way, I used to play Alto Sax, but time constraints prevented me this year...

0 comments: