Google
 

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Linkies, my blinkies!

By: Unknown


[EDIT] I forgot one. Alton Brown, most awesomized chef ever, has a blog. Go to www.altonbrown.com and click on Rants and Raves at the top. [/EDIT]




Ahem! I'll get right to the point. My brother's copying me right now. He set up a blog here. I have a feeling it will be much more social/personally oriented than mine.




I've been messing with news aggregators recently. I finally found one that supports the blog's Atom feed. You can get it here, for a 14 day trial. It's called NewzCrawler, by the way. It's neat, but I don't keep up with it enough, so it gets overloaded.




A Sad Day... Sort Of



President Ronald Reagan died today at the age of 93, peacefully in his house. I must say, that would be the way I want to die. I suppose it's not terribly sad, since he was that old and he had such a debilitating disease as Alzheimer's, but it is entirely appropriate to honor him. Thus...



Frankly, I don't think I'd want to live with Alzheimer's, but I am cerebrocentric. 93 is quite a respectable age to die at, too. Nice and old.




Ceremonial Saditude



It boggles the mind.

Frankly, I have something to say to those people who prepare for an event for years, then cry when it comes:

You are an idiot.

And you know who you are.

For instance, at graduation (and immediately before), all these people started acting bummed out, some reaching the point of crying. Honestly, you knew this day was coming. You looked forward to it since junior year, at least. It could only be stupidity, or foolishness at least, that prevented you from understanding the ramifications of the event before the point of the actual ceremony.

The same goes double for weddings. The weddee has no reason to cry, ever, unless the other weddee has forced them to do this. The only person who ever has reason to be emotional at a ceremony like this are the parents and grandparents of the participant, and always because of pride.

And frankly, weddings and graduations are nothing to be proud of. I'm going to confidently guess that 96% of people graduate high school and 95% get married at some point. These events are to be expected. There are certain events that relatives may feel extreme pride at, generally ceremonies that were extremely hard to come by (i.e., Eagle Scout banquets), events that are rather uncommon (graduating from medical or law school, or otherwise getting an upper level degree (MD, PhD)), or events that represent the continuation of a family tradition that the relative helped effect (again, at my Eagle ceremony, my grandparents have 3 Eagle Scout sons, and now I am continuing as an Eagle grandson).

So quit crying, you pansies. Unless you find yourself surprised by something monumental (winning an Oscar) or this is an astounding personal success (being born a poor black crack addicted baby in the ghetto in Iraq and graduating with a PhD from Harvard) that took a lot of extreme effort (as in, 100% of your effort, since there's no such thing as "giving 110%"), keep your emotions under control. Everybody else can.

~Michael,
...rant completed...

0 comments: