Google
 

Thursday, October 14, 2004

What About Poland?

By: UnrepentantNewDealer


Well, 19 days left to go until the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. I hope everyone caught last night's debate. Some highlights:

Bush: "Most of the tax cuts went to low- and middle-income Americans."

Let's see: factcheck.org points out that 53% of his tax cut went to the top 10 percent! Of course when you're as rich as the Bushes are, thinking of the 90th (or even 98th) percentile Americans as "low-and middle-income Americans" might be perfectly natural. They're all serfs compared to you aristocrats.

"Oh, THAT Time I Said I Wasn't Concerned..."

Kerry: "Six months after he said Osama bin Laden must be caught dead or alive, this president was asked, 'Where is Osama bin Laden?' He said, 'I don't know. I don't really think about him very much. I'm not that concerned.' We need a president who stays deadly focused on the real war on terror."

Bush: "Gosh, I just don't think I ever said I'm not worried about Osama bin Laden. It's kind of one of those exaggerations."

Well, gosh, that's funny, because I could have sworn I remembered hearing him say that at a press conference once. Ok, let's go right to the official source--the White House website, of course, archived press conference transcripts for March 13, 2002:
Q: "Mr. President, in your speeches now you rarely talk or mention Osama bin Laden. Why is that? Also, can you tell the American people if you have any more information, if you know if he is dead or alive? Final part -- deep in your heart, don't you truly believe that until you find out if he is dead or alive, you won't really eliminate the threat of --"

THE PRESIDENT: "Deep in my heart I know the man is on the run, if he's alive at all. Who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not; we haven't heard from him in a long time... So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you."

Q: "But don't you believe that the threat that bin Laden posed won't truly be eliminated until he is found either dead or alive?"

THE PRESIDENT: "Well, as I say, we haven't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him."

THE PRESIDENT: (after the debate, upon being condemned by his own testimony) "Oh, THAT time I said I'm not concerned about the madman who orchestrated the murder of 3,000 of my countrymen in cold blood just 6 months previously! Ooops, my bad!"

Ladies and gentlemen of the voting public, I rest my case.

Truth be told, neither Kerry nor Bush delivered spell-bounding oratory last night. But no politician has since at least Kennedy. Bush did better last night than in either previous debate and Kerry turned in his worst performance yet. Yet even Kerry at his most long-winded worst bested Bush at his best. CNN's poll shows 39% thought Bush won and 52% thought Kerry won. Kerry is now 3-0, a clean sweep, and gathering momentum in the polls. Not to mention the fact that a Wall Street Journal/Zogby poll has Kerry ahead in the Electoral College. Read it and weep!
Fun With Foreign Nations
Oh, yeah, about the Afghan elections: I don't mean to say "I told you so", but well, I did. Really, I predicted voter fraud in the blog entry for October 2. It was obvious. Hey, nice touch with the "permanent" ink, guys!tp://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/10/09/afghanistan.elections/index.html

Fortunately, the opposition candidates seem to have dropped their calls for a re-vote. At least Karzai is committed to democracy and isn't viewed as a puppet ruler by the people, unlike a certain Iraqi "Prime Minister" and former (and current?) CIA asset.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6317749&src=rss/topNews&section=news

Not going to name any names--(sneezes: ALLAWI!!!)--whew! God bless me, I must have a cold! Too bad there's a flu shot shortage. Again! For the second year in a row. But since I'm a young man, my immune system can handle it! I really hope you're right about that, Bush!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6242789/

Finally, here's something funny. As I commented on in my last post, the Iraqi Survey Group concluded that "Saddam Hussein did not possess stockpiles of illicit weapons at the time of the U.S. invasion in March 2003 and had not begun any program to produce them." Finally, the administration admits Saddam didn't have WMD! But their new story is that Iraq was skimming money from the UN's oil for food program. Nations were violating U.N. sanctions to get their hands on Iraqi oil vouchers. Among the nations implicated are Russia, China, Poland...Poland?The Poland? The Poland Bush chided Kerry for not mentioning in the first debate? Remember, Kerry was critcizing our Coalition Of the Willing (C.O.W.) because only the U.S., Britain and Australia contibuted significant numbers of troops. Bush blurted out "What about Poland? You're forgetting Poland. The Honorable President President Alexander Kitsstrudelfritzhowitzerauchduleibenhouser [or something like that] of Poland is a vital ally in Iraq." Then, within days, Poland's Defense Minister announced the withdrawal of 40% of Polish forces by January and complete withdrawal by no later than the end of next year.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/10/04/iraq.polandtroops

So Poland not only betrayed us by trading with Saddam, they're packing up and leaving Iraq? What about Poland, Mr. President? Go on, I believe you were saying something funny!

0 comments: